I don’t make new resolutions every year, I carry the ones from years past behind me like loose threads from torn seams on tattered jeans I know I should donate. But they’re so comfortable. Yeah, letting yourself down becomes comfortable, too.
Every year, I dust my neglected old resolutions off, patch them up, and gently place them on my shiny new ‘To Do’ shelf, next to the books I still haven’t read (RJT).
Well, this year is going to be different (I try to say without LOLing all over myself).
I have come to the conclusion I don’t deserve the life I have. Now, that’s not as bad as it sounds. What it means, is life is a gift horse into who’s mouth you should not look. I need to do more with what I’ve been given.
That begins with paying restitution to my resolutions. I don’t need to resolve to do a bunch of new stuff at the beginning of this magical year, I need to renovate my previous resolutions. I’ve known what I need to do for a long time. Just ask past versions of myself at the beginning of just about every year of my life. It’s always the same.
Why do I have the same resolutions at the beginning of every year? Because I suck.
What does this have to do with Badass Sci Fi? Shut up. It has everything to do with Badass Sci Fi. Turn here.
Here are my renovated, revitalized, and restitutated resolutions for 2018:
- Read MUCH more- Here are my first victims:
- The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck- Mark Manson
- Cosmic Catastrophes- Gerrit L. Verschuur
- Hail To The Chin- Bruce Campbell
- The 1956 Illustrated Mutual Baseball Yearbook- Roger Kahn and Harry Wismer
- The Artist’s Way and Morning (Evening For Me) Pages Journal- Julia Cameron
- On Writing: A Memoir Of The Craft- Stephen King
- Yes, there are many others I need to get to, but can I please just start with these, while also trying to finish Ready Player One, Hyperion, and Revelation Space? Can I? Thank you.
- Pursue my writing career through whatever avenues necessary.
- Eat better and exercise more.
- Continue (start) building the Badass Sci Fi brand.
- More Road Trips!
- Less TV!
Okay, that’s enough for now. Until next time, don’t bother me. I’m resolving a book.
Alright, I just watched the Dark Knight trilogy.