HALTERES PLANETARY DATA

___

Halteres

(H-Prime)

Halteres, a conjoined binary terrestrial system, consists of a larger lobe, Halteres Major (H-Major), a smaller lobe, Halteres Minor (H-Minor), and a shaft of igneous rock connecting the two, the Pillar of Cael (Cael).

As a result of their bond, an uninhabitable volcanic wasteland called the Foculus covers the medial 25% of both attached lobes surrounding Cael.

Location

Halteres is the second planet from Hestia, a K-type dwarf star. Hestia’s solar system contains six planets, from nearest to farthest; Vélkáf, Halteres, Clach Nearth, Kovoldia, Sfyri, and Akontio.

The solar system lies in one of spiral arms of the Glyptis galaxy, approximately three-quarters of the way out from the center of the galaxy. Glyptis, a spiral starburst galaxy, resides near the edge of the Fovero galaxy cluster. The Fovero galaxy cluster is near the center of the Sympan supercluster.

These deep space objects are over 2 billion light years from Earth with approximate Earth celestial coordinates right ascension 19h 46m 25.66s and declination +33° 43′ 40.02″.

Orbit and Rotation

Halteres orbits Hestia in 208.45 Earth days. During this time, it rotates about its axis about 100.06 times.

However, H-Minor displays perpendicular rotation, rotating three times for each planar rotation of the system, much like a millstone.

Furthermore, stabilized by the presence of H-Minor, the planet’s axis of rotation aligns with its orbital plane.

According to unverified evidence, the planet formed almost 5 billion years ago. It possesses no natural satellites.

H-Minor is thought to have been formed from a collision. Unlike the Earth’s moon, however, it didn’t separate. Similar to the moon, H-Minor causes perpetual tides around the polar circumference of H-Major.

Physical Charactaristics

Exterior

The lithosphere on H-Major divides into several rigid tectonic plates. Unlike the tectonic plates that once comprised Pangea, H-Major’s’ plates, over the last few million years, migrated toward the equator.

Additionally, though tectonic plates usually disperse and coalesce in cycles, it is safe to assume H-major’s land masses will remain concentrated at the equator. Two factors spport this hypothesis.

Firstly, H-Prime’s center of gravity gives the planet an oblong rotation. Consequently, the centrifugal force remains concentrated on H-Major’s distal equator.

Secondly, the Foculus prevents tectonic plates from migrating.

Water covers about 62% of H-Major’s habitable surface. The remaining 38% consists of continents and islands. Ice covers the majority of H-Major’s polar regions. Additionally, certain sections of the polar ice caps, the Pagos Nefos rotate over the Foculus, become infused with steam, and float inland.

100% of H-Minor’s surface is land.

Compared to Earth’s 5.51 g/cm3, H-Major’s density is 3.89 g/cm3, while H- Minor’s is 17.34 g/cm3.

Interior

H-Major’s interior remains active with a solid iron inner core, a liquid outer core that generates a magnetic field, and a convecting mantle that drives plate tectonics and makes the Foculus unstable.

H-Minor, on the other hand, has no protective magnetic field. There are, however, several volcanically active regions on the surface, most notably, the Foculus.

As a result of the evidence, it is believed H-Minor possesses an entirely solid core, but a still active mantle. Additionally, unverified evidence indicates the presence of a large, artificially excavated portion in a dormant region of the mantle near Cael; Vathoul.

Certainly, a combination of H-Minor’s perpendicular spin and lack of a magnetic field render its surface is largely uninhabitable. There is, however, one domed population center, Olys, and certain beings have adapted to the harsh environment.

Habitability

Life arose on H-Major nearly 4.5 billion years ago. Unverified evidence points to directed macroscopic panspermia as a major catalyst to the origin of life on Halteres. Since then, the combination of the planet’s distance from Hestia, H-Major’s physical properties, and geological history have allowed life to evolve and thrive.

As a result, life evolved similar to Earth’s. However, three known sapient subspecies inhabit Halteres; the Haltierre, Ratnik, and Mendax, who now inhabit H-Minor. Unverified evidence exists of a sentient arachnid species, the Noctvyl. Additionally, the Astir Espera region of H-Major harbors the only in situ population of the omniscent organic circuitry Arca Trochia.